Sunday, September 12, 2010

Reflection chapter 1 &2

I strongly agree to the six principles and the five content standards the author has explained in the first chapter. Teachers play an important role in a child's learning, whereby if the teacher teaches the mathematical concepts in a fun and intersting way I think it will attract the interest of the children towards mathematics. I also agree that we need to help children to make connections and link ideas that lead to mathematical concepts

One of  the principle that caught my interest  and which I strongly agreed to is, The Learning Principle "Students learn mathematics with understanding, actively building new knowledge from experience and prior knowledge" (NCTM,2000,p.20)

 My mother was my first math teacher when I was young, she will send me to shop to get some vegetables all written in a piece of paper, she will give the money I need to write beside her vegetable list the price and add the total, give the shop keeper the money and need to check the exact  balance amount. Every time my mother sends me to the shop she will give me tips of 2 dollars which I used to save in the piggy bank and once its full count the total amount saved. Therefore I learnt the mathematical concepts of addition, subtraction and problem solving skills.

During my schooling time I had teachers who are very strict and firm and in those years in 1970's, teachers were not friendly and they were very rigid just need to follow the way they teach, need to memorise the formulas, teaching was abstract. Therefore I learnt mathematics with fear. Vast changes have taken place in the educational system at present. Children are given so much freedom and choices, teachers are very friendly and are willing to help the children. Lessons are taught with interesting activities, that  help children to expand thier knowledge.

As a preschool teacher I will make sure that children understand the rationale behind the mathematical concept with fun filled activities. I also agree to the author about the importance of creating the environment for  young children to learn. The teacher plays an important role in setting up the environment inorder  to facilitate children, so that the children feel empowered to come up with thier own approach rather than depending on the teacher to offer an approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment