Thursday, September 30, 2010

Using Technology to Teach Mathematics

When I read the title "Using technology" I thought it must be computers, but it never striked to me that calculators also belong to technology. When I read the benefits of using calculators, it was really an eye opener for me, I did'nt know that  using calculators can enhance conceptual understanding, strategic competence, and disposition towards mathematics. It is well explained how calculators can be used in preschool education for example given to a child, he or she can count their classmates as they enter in the morning, and also it helps them to count by ones, pressing the keys 0+1= by doing so it enhances children's oral counting, and identification of patterns. Nowadays children are very fortunate to use and manipulate technology at early years, for example computers, X box, video games, Iphone, whereas I remember using calculators only in secondary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment